Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The next level

Next month @ my station there will be a county wide firehouse chili cook off. I am definitely entering it. My chili is not the best but the guys at my station seem to like it. One of my requirements as a firefighter besides drills & training is to belong to two committees. All probies must do kitchen duty as one of their first committees until probation is up. After several months of being a probie, the firefighter cooking the meals stepped down. That same night as I was cleaning up the area, bringing the dishes into the kitchen, Tom (FF) & Jerry (Captain) looked at me, then at each other with a grin as if a light bulb went on over their heads, then looked at me again and said my name at the same time "Theresa, how would you like to be the chief cook? See... several months as probie and you are already chief." Yup, 11 years already as chief cook. My job is to cook and feed 30 firefighters twice a month. "A fed firefighter is a happy firefighter." Anyways, Abba always does that to us. We think to ourselves, there is no way I could ever do that. It's just too hard. Then Abba will always find a way for us to do it. Abba loves to keep moving us forward, taking us to - the next level.

No comments: