Monday, March 30, 2009

"Touch of the master's hand"

When I was a kid I loved the trumpet and always wanted to play “When the Saints Come Marching In” with it. As I grew up, I found out I can’t play a music instrument to save my life but last week I bought a damaged African kudu horn. It has a big cut, chipped bone areas and animal teeth marks on it. I’m going to restore the horn and make it into a Yemenite shofar. Every horn is different. They have different colors, lines, thickness, and sounds. Every shofar has a purpose even though they are not a true musical instrument because you can only control the amount, duration and how clear the notes sound not the key or pitch but they are still used to praise the lord. So I might actually have a chance playing the horn. Right now I sound like a baby elephant. This damaged kudu horn reminds me of a song I loved since I was a kid “Touch of the master’s hand” by Wayne Watson. The song is about broken people being restored. Abba is the Master, the Holy Spirit is the bow, and Yeshua is the auctioneer. Just as every horn turns into a shofar by a craftsman. Every broken and sinful person can be restored by Abba thru Yeshua's blood.

“Touch Of The Master’s Hand”

Well it was battered and scared,
and the auctioneer felt it was hardly worth his while,
to waste much time on the old violin but he held it up with a smile,
it sure ain’t much but it’s all we got left I guess we ought to sell it too,
now who’ll start the bid on this old violin?
Just one more and we’ll be through.

And then he cried one give me one dollar,
Who’ll make it two only two dollars who’ll make it three,
Three dollars twice that’s a good price,
who’s gotta bid for me?
Raise up your hand and don’t wait any longer the auctions about to end,
Who’s got four just one dollar more to bid on this old violin?

Well the air was hot and the people stood around as the sun was setting low,
From the back of the crowd a gray haired man,
Came forward picked up the bow,
He wiped the dust from the old violin then he tightened up the strings,
Then he played out a melody pure and sweet, sweet as the angels sing,
And then the music stopped, and the auctioneer,
With a voice that was quiet and low he said what is my bid,
For this old violin then he held it up with a bow.

And then he cried out one give me one thousand,
Who’ll make it two, only two thousand who’ll make it three,
Three thousand twice well that’s a good price,
but who’s gotta bid for me?
the people called out what made the change we don’t understand,
Then the auctioneer stopped and he said with a smile,
It was the touch of the Master’s hand.

now you know many a man with life out of tune,
is battered and scared with sin and he’s auctioned cheap,
To a thankless world much like the old violin,
then the Master comes,
And foolish crowd they never understand,
The worth of a soul and the change is wrought,
Just by the touch of the Masters hand.

And then he cried out one give me one thousand,
Who’ll make it two only two thousand who’ll make it three,
Three thousand twice that’s a good price,
but who’s gotta bid for me?
the people called out what made the change we don’t understand,
Then the auctioneer stopped and he said with a smile,
It was the touch, of the Master’s hand.

This older version of the song is a lot better. Shalom :O)

No comments: