Sunday, May 31, 2009

"Following in my father's footsteps"

When my dad was 8 years old, he would help his older brother Tom with his high school biology homework. My dad was training to be a doctor in the Army and served in the Korean War. My dad got very sick and was honorably discharged. He met my mom several years later. They were both working at the same hospital. On Oct.31, 1997, my dad went in the hospital on Friday night and pass away Tuesday around 11:00am. I was sitting in the kitchen waiting for my mom to take her to the hospital. I saw my dad in his hospital room standing up playing with the monitors (he loved electronic stuff) and a few minutes later the hospital called and said there is not much time left but I knew he had already passed away. When I arrived, I sat in the waiting room while my mom was in the room with him. As I was sitting there crying, Yeshua came and stood next to me on my right side and told me my dad was with my mom right now. One of the things he also said to me was that my dad was proud of me. My fire fighter exam was on that Saturday and I found out I had passed. When I tried to tell him he was so out of it he couldn’t tell me. I talked to my dad several times after he passed away. One of the times, he got to wake me up. Growing up, I never let my dad wake me up. His voice was so scratchy in the morning from smoking that his voice would go right thru me. I needed to go somewhere early the next morning and I asked Abba to help me get up. My dad started calling my name telling me it was time to get up and there was nothing wrong with his voice. Being half awake, I said to him I was up, but then realized that he was no longer here. My dad always wanted one of his kids to become a doctor. My dad (sort of) got his wish, I’m a EMT. The funny thing is that I’m really not like anyone in my family including my mom and dad. The last five years of my dad’s life, I started to get to know him. He also started calling me Tisa. I always wanted to know my real Hebrew name from Abba. I found out about a year ago that Tisa was a Hebrew word and it means “to fly” I know deep down that Abba had my dad start calling me that as a gift to me from my dad. Even though I never really followed in my father’s footsteps, I need to follow Abba’s in his. In Luke 9:23 Yeshua says “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me.”

No comments: