Saturday, May 1, 2010

"The Judgment Seat"

Last night I took my mom to see “The Judgment Seat” play for her mother’s day gift. It was at The Egg, a performing arts center in Albany, NY. I haven’t been there since 2nd grade. I’m the type that would never go to the ballet or opera. I cringe even at the thought of it. So when my mom asked me to take her to the play, you can guess what my reaction was. Then she said she would like it to be her Mother’s Day present….Doh! The Egg is only 10 minutes away from my house. Living in Albany, it is extremely liberal. From the politics to the news, it is all liberal. So hearing about a Christian play, I thought “how Christian is it and will its owners voice their own agendas?” To my surprise it was very good and they didn’t add their agendas. Each aspect of the play showed God’s mercy and judgment of accepting and rejection of His son Jesus. It also had serious and comedic times in the play and was simplistic enough for a person to really understand why God does what He does and gave His son Jesus. A lady from the Loudonville community church prayed for five years to bring this director/ writer to Albany to do one of his plays. He has been all over the world doing plays and stuff. He never thought Albany would be a place they would accept him. He now wants to bring more performances to Albany. In all his plays he uses only volunteers to act and make the set designs. The quality was unbelievable. At the end of the play, a pastor goes up and talks to everyone about Jesus and gives an alter call. The place was packed and close to fifty people pack around the small stage. I know some still stayed in their seats. Two ladies in front of me raised their hands but never went up. I have seen on tv large alter calls but never was in the same place. It was truly a blessing to be there and to see that. Other people were blessed too that night. The lady next to my mom came in at the last minute. Her husband was in the play and she saw it the day before. She wanted to see it again but couldn’t afford it. Then someone gave her an extra ticket they had. My mom gave her the money to buy a DVD of that performance and she cried because she wanted one but couldn’t afford it. All in all it was a good night even if it was just a play...Doh!

No comments: