Thursday, April 2, 2009

"It's a cake thing"

This Saturday, I’ll be bringing my mom to a women’s meeting at her church to hear speaker Mary K. Baxter. I have been to my mom’s church before and it’s ok. I guess I’m just use to the way my church is but the one thing that seems to be the same in most christian churches is the worship. Back in the 70’s and earlier most contemporary christian music songs were based on sound doctrine. The bible tells us in Psalm 22:3 “God inhabits the praises of his people.” Where are the songs today that praised Abba, worshipped Yeshua, celebrated and rejoiced with the Holy Spirit? They repackaged them and call them praise & worship songs now. Most other CCM songs today are self centered. What has happened to our music? In Luke 6:45 says” For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks” has today’s music lost its first love? The songs I hear on the radio seem empty. They focus on our need rather than praising Abba. If these songs played 25 years ago, I believe we would see the difference. The music today seems to get worse. Is this what we are leaving for the next generation to listen to? Is this the spiritual nourishment we are giving our kids? Is the music today helping with bible illiteracy and the falling away of the church? The CCM songs seem to feed the flesh rather than our spirit. This reminds me of cake. Yup cake. What is cake made of? Eggs, milk, flour, sugar, oil, and water. You could probably live on it but how would your body react? It would become full but at the same time it would be starving. A lot of Christians are not getting enough good spiritual songs. They seek to be comforted by their “cake” songs. Cake may be good once in a while but all the time it will hurt you. The spirit is starving in people today. They are always looking for the next move of the spirit but what spirit have they been looking for and feeding?

No comments: