Friday, November 21, 2008

"clutch, clutch, clutch, clutch, clutch”


I always wanted a dirt bike since I was a kid. In 2006 God gave me a strong desire to get a permit. Then last year in June I was driving to work thinking about my motorcycle learner’s permit and how I need to take the safety course for my license but I wanted to practice on a bike first because I didn't want to fail and lose $300.00. Then the Holy Spirit said “What if God got you a bike?” I started to laugh for a second and quickly stopped. I said “I know he can get me the bike but then I would need insurance, title, inspection, all the gear for riding. I just can’t afford it right now.” Several weeks later God got me one. I love it so much. I was driving to work on the same road the Holy Spirit talked to me about getting a bike. I drove past it and knew it was for me. A guy who’s son races was selling a Honda xr 80cc bike. I don’t know how God did it but I was able to scrounge up $700.00 for that bike a week later and within a month I was able to get all my gear for the basic rider course. In Aug. I took the course and passed. God has been impressing upon me to share this in my blog but also the story when I first rode the bike. I don’t know what for but I know he is up to something I just haven’t figured it out yet.
Several weeks later, after I picked up my bike, I needed to ride it that weekend because I wouldn't be able to ride it again for another 3 weeks and my course was fast approaching. I practiced riding it down a hill without the engine running to practice my braking skills and get comfortable with the bike. I have a basic book on motorcycles. It had a buyers guide for beginners and taught how to ride. It was a good book but I have poor reading comprehension. I failed 6th grade because of it. I also went online because I wanted to prepare and make sure I knew what I need to do. The previous owner was going to teach me how to ride it but I chicken out and said I’ll figure it out. It was on Sunday around 1:00pm, people were leaving the Baptist church across the street. After being online for the whole morning reading about it, I thought I was ready. There is a hill on the side of the duplex I live in. I took the bike down the hill and sat on it next to the garage. With my helmet and gloves on I started the bike. I let go of the clutch too quick and took off fast. It didn't stall. I’m over 300lbs. I didn't expect the bike to go so fast in 1st gear. An army of acrobatic clowns could be on it and it would still go fast. At the same time the Holy Spirit was yelling “clutch, clutch, clutch, clutch, clutch, clutch, clutch” I was so shocked. I couldn’t think. I yelled “where the hell is the clutch?”(sorry, yes I did swear). He showed me my hand grabbing the clutch. I then grab the clutch but the bike wasn’t slowing down fast enough. Both feet were off the pegs. I thought I was going to stop in the street and get hit by one of the cars leaving. The Holy Spirit was telling me to use the front brake but I thought I would flip over. Somehow the bike slowed down and stopped before the street. I was so relieve I started to take my hands off the handlebars to put them on my legs but the bike was still on and in first gear. The bike bolted again for about 6” and just shut off. For some stupid reason I tried starting it again but the bike wouldn't start. I drag it up the hill and place it in front of the kitchen windows. I go back online to try and figure out what I did wrong. I went back out around 7:00pm. My brother Steve comes home and I ask him to come watch just in case something happens. He doesn’t come back until 20 min later. He finally comes back and I try starting it again. I couldn’t get it to start. Steve even tries and he can’t. I have about 15 min left until it gets too dark. I give up and bring it back to the front of the kitchen windows. I start to carefully look over the bike wondering why it didn’t start. I noticed the fuel petcock was turned off. I start blaming my brother for turning it off but realized he wasn’t the one that turned it off. At that moment Yeshua says to me ”You know you have 10 minutes left why don’t you try it now?” I said “ummmm it’s hot.. I’m tired and I don’t want to drag it up the hill again.” He says “Oh.. ok.” As if to say "sure.. whatever you say."

No comments: